Blue Plaques in Richmond upon Thames
What are blue plaques?
Blue Plaques are erected by the Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission on buildings in Greater London associated with famous people.
Unofficial plaques exist to Gustav Holst (Barnes), Alfred Lord Tennyson (Montpelier Row) and John Templeton (Hampton Hill). For more information contact Mrs Ann Sutton, 36 Gothic Road, Twickenham TW2 5EH. There are also Comedy Plaques inserted in the wall of Teddington Studios.
The Historic Building and Monuments Commission plaques are listed below chronologically in order of their unveiling.
David Garrick (1970)
Leonard and Virginia Woolf (1976)
J.M.W. Turner (1977)
Henry Fielding (1978)
Cardinal Newman (1981)
Kurt Schwitters (1984)
John Beard/William Ewart (Oct 1992)
Sir Edwin Chadwick (Dec 1992)
Arthur Hughes (Nov 1993)
Bernardo O'Higgins (July 1994)
Walter De La Mare (May 1995)
Sir Noel Coward (Dec 1995)
Sir Christopher Wren (June 1996)
Henry Du Pre Labouchere (1999)
James Henry Greathead (1999)
Thomson, James (2005)
Johnson, Dame Celia (2008)
Lancelot 'Capability' Brown (2011)
Lancelot 'Capability' Brown, an architect and designer responsible for the creation of nearly 300 of England's finest Georgian landscaped parks and gardens. Lived at the Wilderness House, Hampton Court Palace from 1764 until his death 1783.