image for Historic Site item typePope's Grotto

Historic Site

Contact

Radnor House School

020 8891 6264

Address

Pope's Villa,
Cross Deep,
Twickenham,
Middlesex,
TW1 4QG

Details

Alexander Pope's Grotto is the last remaining part of his villa, which he built in 1720 on the banks of the Thames at Twickenham. Demolished in 1808, the villa was replaced and the property became the subject of much redevelopment over the following 200 years.

Alexander Pope's Grotto is a remaining icon of one of Twickenham's most celebrated residents. It enjoys a magnetic attraction because of his enduring reputation as a poet. This relic of his life in Twickenham also acts as a reminder of English culture, literature and garden design in the 18th century. In its time, the Grotto was an object both of admiration and envy, inspiring imitation throughout England. Even today, in its shabby condition, it draws students and enthusiasts from all over the world.

Alexander Pope's Grotto is the last remaining part of his villa, which he built in 1720 on the banks of the Thames at Twickenham. Demolished in 1808, the villa was replaced and the property became the subject of much redevelopment over the following 200 years. In 1996 St James's Independent School for boys acquired the estate, remaining for 14 years.

Opening details

At present the grotto can only be visited during the Twickenham Festival in June and Open House London in September each year or by special arrangement. Dates and booking procedures for timed visits during the Festival are advertised locally in May.
The Grotto is owned by Radnor House School. It may be possible to visit during school holidays.

Location

Directions

See location of Pope's Grotto on Google mapsSee location on Google maps

Map reference: TQ 160727  Lat: 51.44154 Long: -0.33145

Entrance via Radnor House School on Cross Deep.

Facilities

Alexander Pope's Grotto is the last remaining part of his villa, which he built in 1720 on the banks of the Thames at Twickenham. Demolished in 1808, the villa was replaced and the property became the subject of much redevelopment over the following 200 years. In 1996 St James's Independent School for boys acquired the estate, remaining for 14 years.