Cycling in Richmond upon Thames
Cycling in the Borough via the 50 miles of London Cycle Network, including the Thames Cycle Route, is an enjoyable and free way to discover all there is to see and do. Cycle routes in Richmond link the many open spaces with minor roads and safe crossing points for cyclists are being provided at junctions with main roads. The routes in Richmond are being continually developed in consultation with experienced local cyclists from all over the Borough.
You can order individual Cycle Guides, covering the whole of London, from the Transport for London website. The Borough of Richmond upon Thames is covered largely by Guide No. 9, but Guides 6 and 10 are also relevant. Click here to visit the order page.
NEW! Cycle trail in Richmond brought to you by the National Trust. A circular 6½ mile route along the River Thames, past Marble Hill House, Ham House and Garden and the iconic view from the top of Richmond Hill, and through Richmond Park and the historic avenues of Ham. Bring your own bike or hire one at Richmond Station, where the route begins. Click here for a detailed description and a map.
Bicycle hire services are available in Richmond upon Thames.
Richmond Station Cycle Centre offers non-folding and folding bikes for use on most days of the week. The shop is located on the lower platform level, around the corner from the Cornish Pasty Shop. Volunteers at VisitRichmond Information Stand will be able to point you in the right direction. The Stand is located in the main area of Richmond Station and operates between March and October. To hire a bike, you will need:
- A proof of address in the form of one of the following: ID Card, Drivers Licence, Passport, Bank Statement, Utility Bill.
- A deposit of £75 which is refundable on return of the cycle in satisfactory condition.
Cycling is a great way to access the wide range of destinations Richmond has to offer. Pick up a cycle map at the VisitRichmond Information Stand and choose from many scenic routes, including the Thames Path, Richmond Park, and Bushy Park. For more information about Richmond Station Cycle Hire, and current opening times, visit their website, call 020 8332 0123 or email email@example.com
Other bike hire shops in the borough include:
- Blazing Saddles – operate cycle hire by Richmond Bridge and can be contacted on 020 8948 8240.
- Parkcycle – operate cycle hire in Richmond Park. Their main cycle centre is located in the Roehampton Gate car park. At peak periods, they also operate a secondary location at Pembroke Lodge car park close to Richmond Gate. Please see the Parkcycle website for all information on hire and cycling in Richmond Park
- Richmond Cycles offer bike hire in East Twickenham and can be contacted on 020 8892 4372.
- Birdie Bikes offer cycle hire in Hampton. The telephone number is 020 8941 9397.
Capital Sport operate gentle cycling tours along the Thames from Richmond to Oxford. Day tours, short breaks and longer tours include cycle hire, route directions and sightseeing details. Both bed and breakfast and hotel accommodation is offered along with luggage transfers and a host. Most tours are self guided. All the information for these tours is on their website at www.capital-sport.co.uk where they can also be booked.
Mind The Gap Tours offer day trips from Central London to Hampton Court Palace using public transport. The all-inclusive price for a day includes all travel, a 7-mile gentle, traffic free guided bike tour on vintage style bikes from Richmond Station to Hampton Court Palace, fast track entrance to the Palace and a £1 donation to the Woodland Trust. More information and pictures can be found on Mind The Gap Tours facebook page or www.mindthegaptours.com.