Historic Site, free entry
Richmond Environment Trust
020 8891 5455
St Margarets Road,
Kilmorey Mausoleum is a Grade II listed building with exotic origins and a colourful history. It was built in the early 1850s by the Earl of Kilmorey for his mistress, Priscilla Hoste. They had a son, but she became terminally ill with heart disease and died in 1854. The mausoleum was designed in Egyptian style by the architect HE Kendall and first erected in Brompton Cemetery before coming to Twickenham.
The Mausoleum has received a lot of attention since the Environment Trust offered to maintain and develop the grounds, and we have opened the site to the public on several occasions (including as part of London Open House weekend), attracting hundreds of visitors on each occasion.
In addition to a grove of silver birch trees, the Trust has planted amelanchier, buddleia, viburnum, ferns, wild rose bushes and narcissus, seeded a wild flower meadow, and laid a path of bark chippings. All of the work is done by volunteers, led by a Kew-trained conservation gardener.