Langdon Down Museum of Learning Disability at Langdon Down Centre
Museum, free entry
Langdon Down Centre, 2A Langdon Park,
Events at this Venue
The museum at Normansfield in Teddington is situated in the former home of Dr John Langdon Down who brought a revolutionary and enlightened approach to the care of those with all forms of learning disability. His wife Mary, their sons and other members of the Langdon Down family managed Normansfield from 1868 until 1970. It later became an NHS hospital from 1951 until it closed in 1997.
Although Langdon Down’s name is most associated with the condition he recognised and was later called Down’s Syndrome, the majority of residents at Normansfield and the Royal Earlswood Asylum had a range of learning disabilities.
The museum will contribute to the public understanding of learning disability through events and educational activities. It will also celebrate the achievements of people with learning disabilities. Its policy is to acquire and conserve artifacts, documents, photographs and other materials with historical importance. It acts as the guardian of the memories, archives and records of those who lived and worked at Normansfield and make these accessible to visitors at the museum and on the website.
Collections and Archives
The museum includes the following:
Normansfield Collection and Archive
Records, documents and photographs of those who lived and worked at Normansfield. This includes documents detailing the development of the buildings, grounds and the Victorian theatre.
Royal Earlswood Asylum Collection
Artifacts from the Royal Earlswood Asylum near Redhill where Dr John Langdon Down was medical superintendent from 1855 to 1868.
James Henry Pullen Collection
Artifacts made by James Henry Pullen (1835–1916), a savant known as the Genius of Earlswood Asylum. On display are his ships, both real and imagined, including a model of Brunel’s Great Eastern. The collection also includes paintings and other objects.
Individuals and groups may visit by appointment. Please contact the Archivist.
TQ 173701 51.41857 -0.31444
By train: the nearest station is Hampton Wick which is 7 minutes walk.
By bus: the 281 and 285 stop outside the building.
By car: from Kingston, drive past Hampton Wick station and take the first right after Normansfield Avenue into Langdon Park. From Twickenham take the first left after Holmesdale Road into Langdon Park. There is limited parking. Please obtain a parking permit from the Langdon Down Centre office.
: 0 miles from Hampton Wick station
- Baby changing facilities
- Coach parties accepted
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- Disabled access
- Facilities for educational visits
- On-site light refreshments
- Accepts groups
- Facilities for conferencing
- Children welcome
- Disabled access
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
- Guided tours for individuals
- Guided tours for groups
- Smoking not allowed