Museum:Langdon Down Museum of Learning Disability at Langdon Down Centre

John Langdon Down

John Langdon Down

John Langdon Down

Museum, free entry

In light of COVID-19, please make sure you check with your travel and accommodation providers before travelling.


Langdon Down Centre, 2A Langdon Park,
TW11 9PS


The museum at Normansfield in Teddington is situated in the former home of Dr John Langdon Down who brought a revolutionary and enlightened approach to the care of those with all forms of learning disability. His wife Mary, their sons and other members of the Langdon Down family managed Normansfield from 1868 until 1970. It later became an NHS hospital from 1951 until it closed in 1997.

Although Langdon Down’s name is most associated with the condition he recognised and was later called Down’s Syndrome, the majority of residents at Normansfield and the Royal Earlswood Asylum had a range of learning disabilities.

The museum will contribute to the public understanding of learning disability through events and educational activities. It will also celebrate the achievements of people with learning disabilities. Its policy is to acquire and conserve artifacts, documents, photographs and other materials with historical importance. It acts as the guardian of the memories, archives and records of those who lived and worked at Normansfield and make these accessible to visitors at the museum and on the website.

Collections and Archives

The museum includes the following:

Normansfield Collection and Archive
Records, documents and photographs of those who lived and worked at Normansfield. This includes documents detailing the development of the buildings, grounds and the Victorian theatre.

Royal Earlswood Asylum Collection
Artifacts from the Royal Earlswood Asylum near Redhill where Dr John Langdon Down was medical superintendent from 1855 to 1868.

James Henry Pullen Collection
Artifacts made by James Henry Pullen (1835–1916), a savant known as the Genius of Earlswood Asylum. On display are his ships, both real and imagined, including a model of Brunel’s Great Eastern. The collection also includes paintings and other objects.

Baby changing facilitiesCoach parties acceptedCredit cards accepted (no fee)Facilities for educational visitsOn-site light refreshmentsAccepts groupsFacilities for conferencing

Children welcomeMobility Accessibility FacilitiesDogs not accepted (except guidedogs)Guided tours for individualsGuided tours for groupsSmoking not allowed

Opening details

Sat: 9:30am - 1:30pm, Mon: 2 - 5pm. Times vary by seson, check website for up to date details.
Individuals and groups may visit by appointment. Please contact the Archivist.


Free entry


See location of Langdon Down Centre on Google mapsSee location on Google maps

Map reference: TQ 173701  Lat: 51.41857 Long: -0.31444

By train: the nearest station is Hampton Wick which is 7 minutes walk.

By bus: the 281 and 285 stop outside the building.

By car: from Kingston, drive past Hampton Wick station and take the first right after Normansfield Avenue into Langdon Park. From Twickenham take the first left after Holmesdale Road into Langdon Park. There is limited parking. Please obtain a parking permit from the Langdon Down Centre office.

Parking: free

Accessible by Public Transport: 0 miles from Hampton Wick station


  • Baby changing facilitiesBaby changing facilities
  • Coach parties acceptedCoach parties accepted
  • Credit cards accepted (no fee)Credit cards accepted (no fee)
  • Facilities for educational visitsFacilities for educational visits
  • On-site light refreshmentsOn-site light refreshments
  • Accepts groupsAccepts groups
  • Facilities for conferencingFacilities for conferencing
  • Children welcomeChildren welcome
  • Mobility Accessibility FacilitiesMobility Accessibility Facilities
  • Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
  • Guided tours for individualsGuided tours for individuals
  • Guided tours for groupsGuided tours for groups
  • Smoking not allowedSmoking not allowed